Akron Ohio History
Tangier Restaurant in Akron, Ohio has been serving as a charming and intimate entertainment venue in the city for decades. The Akron Museum of Natural History opened in 1950 for educational purposes, and the Akron Art Institute, located just a few blocks away at the corner of East Main Street and Main Avenue, opened in 1961.
Conrail continued in Akron for the rest of the 20th century and into the early 21st century, with the exception of a brief stop in the late 1930s and early 1940s. Similarly, several attempts to iodize goitre prevention with salt during the Akron experiment were declared unsuccessful, but there was also a successful experiment with iodized salt for goitre prevention at the University of Akron.
Baltimore, Ohio, was the dominant passenger airline in Akron for most of the 20th century, with the city serving as the terminus of the Northeast Ohio Railroad (NEO) of Conrail and the Akron-Barberton Railroad. Smaller regional railroads included the Cleveland, Akron, Cleveland-Akron and Akron / Akron Railroad, as well as a number of smaller regional lines in the region. In addition to the central portion of the central business district of Akron and much of the East-West corridor, the Akron and Barbertons Belt also housed a variety of terminal railroads that did not reach Summit County, notably the Ohio Central Railroad and Ohio State Railway.
After the introduction of the independent trains, other Pennsy trains soon began to consolidate, and the Akron-Hudson train, which connected Cleveland and New York with Akron and New York, was reduced. The last AC-Y passenger train left Akron in the early 1990s, the last passenger train left Akron on July 1, 1997.
There is not much left to see, but the blue-painted brick building in the center of the city is a valuable piece of acronic history. The building - on the spot - is named after the event that put Akron on the map of civil rights, the civil rights movement.
Founded in 1825 by Generals Simon Perkins and Paul Williams, Akron, Ohio, was located on the western edge of the Ohio River, north of Pittsburgh. The city was guaranteed considerable growth through the Pennsylvania-Ohio Canal, which connected the city to Pittsburgh as it was built by William Howe, the first resident engineer in the city's history, and his son John Howe. Howe oversaw and enabled the construction of Akron's first public schools, a school building and a public library, and served as a resident engineer until 1850.
This work led to the founding of the Akron Tire and Rubber Company, which is why so many rubber companies were established in Akron in the 19th century. A few decades later, Goodyear Tire & Rubber, named after Charles Good, was based near Akron and offered Goodrich competition.
Railroads crossed the country, and Akron was not immune; the Pittsburg - Akron Western was built and began construction in 1891, reaching Akron on January 24, 1891. Akron - Canton - Youngstown was founded on June 6, 1907 and opened on October 1, 1912 from Akron to Mogadore. The Akron branch was established in December 1912 with the opening of the Akron, Akron and Cleveland - Cleveland Central Railroad. The railroad eventually led to the sinking of the Erie Canal in Ohio in 1913.
The main roads ran from Canton to Middlebury, and the Pennsylvania Railroad's main train to Akron was the acronite, which brought its prime numbers to New York. The Cleveland - Wheeling train, which was travelling along Lorain Street, the main thoroughfare from Akron to Cleveland, ceased operations on September 29, 1951.
In 1899, Grace Park was the starting point for the Republican gubernatorial campaign in Ohio, which reportedly drew 75,000 people to Akron. Akron was originally known as South Akron after a city called Cascade, also known as North Akron, was founded in 1827. In what is now downtown Akron, the name Akron was added to the south when the two merged and about three years later, around 1836, became a community.
The canal, which is located on the Ohio and Erie Canals, operated from 1827 to 1861, connected the other canal systems of Ohio, making it the second largest canal system in the United States. Akron civic leaders urged the Ohio Legislature to amend the C & P charter to direct the railroad to establish a branch from Akron to Hudson via a link with the Ohio-Pennsylvania Railroad, which was later taken over by Pennsylvania. The idea of such a service dates back to 1967, when Akron City Council member John Siegfried proposed the creation of a rail link between Akron and New York City via the Hudson-Hudson Railway. He wanted to build a railway line between the two cities, with a terminus in Akron and a peak in 1855, but the idea for this service dates back to the late 19th century.